Thursday, July 20, 2017

Trip Planning With Your Cat in Mind


 
Summer has finally arrived!   Many of us are looking forward to hitting the road for vacation. If you’re planning on traveling with your cat for the first time, being well prepared can greatly reduce the stress of a long trip for both you and your cat. Sedatives and tranquilizers are typically only appropriate in very extreme cases of travel anxiety. Check with your veterinarian to address any health concerns you have prior to traveling.

Prepare your cat for travel by introducing them to the conditions they will be experiencing during the trip. Will you be using a different litter box or feeding dishes while on the road? Be sure to introduce these items several weeks before leaving by using them in addition to regular items at home. Does your cat like their carrier? First, be sure the carrier or crate is an appropriate size. Your cat should be able to sit, stand, lie down, and turn around comfortably. Leave the crate out while still at home and offer food and treats in the crate to make it a ‘happy place’. Take your kitty for short rides around the block or through a drive through to habituate them to the motion of the car and the sounds of the road. Gradually increase the length of these short trips to build up your cat’s tolerance and comfort in the car.

Do you have a cat travel bag packed? Be sure to include vaccine records, health certificate if traveling across state lines, toys/comfort items, treats, food, and medicines. If your cat is not microchipped, be sure that they wear a collar and tags with updated contact information. Did you include pit stops in your travel time? Be sure to allow time for your cat to take breaks. This means time outside of the carrier, but still safely confined, to use the litter box and drink water every 2-3 hours. It is often best to only offer food when stopped for a prolonged period of time, such as overnight. This will help to prevent stomach upset/motion sickness.

Remember to never leave your cat alone in the car. It takes only a short amount of time for temperatures to climb to dangerous levels. In case of an emergency, before leaving, research veterinarians or emergency clinics located in your city of destination. If something happens, you don’t want to have to scramble for a contact number or address.

Planning to fly instead of drive? Check with your specific airline for guidelines and requirements of documentation of your cat’s health status and vaccines. Booking a direct flight will usually shorten travel time and be less stressful for your cat. Be sure that your airline allows for the cat/carrier to stay with you during flight. It is not recommended that your cat fly in the cargo area due to unregulated temperatures and noise level. Be prepared! Line the carrier with absorbent pads or towels that can be removed and replaced easily in case of an ‘accident’. And have a sealable bag ready for disposal of the soiled items.

Summer traveling with your cat can be fun, but planning starts weeks before you pack your own bags and jump in the car. Remember that most cats spend the large majority of their life in their home environment. New sights, sounds, smells, changes in their daily schedules, and exposing them to new people and experiences can be upsetting. With a little effort and forethought as a pet owner, your cat has the potential to become a great travel companion!
 
Kim Brewer, CVT
Fox Valley Cat Clinic LLC

 

 

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. ADD DR PERFECT ON WHATSAPP +1 (256)-251-3614 AND GET A CURE TO ANY TYPE OF DISEASES AND VIRUS

      I'm so happy and excited to give my testimony of how I was cure of herpes virus. I'm Karen Wilson from Paris France I was diagnosed with herpes virus for 6 years, I took every drugs prescribed to me by the doctors but there was no positive result, so I decided to try if I can find a cure for my herpes online and I saw different people's comments on how Dr Perfect helped them to cure their diseases and viruses I message him urgently on WhatsApp it's didn't take long he replied my message and we talked on how I can get the cure and he told me he will send the cure to me, in four days time the cure was delivered to my house and he gave me instruction on how I will use it, 17 days later there was no sign of herpes in my body then I went for test and the doctor told me he couldn't find any sign of herpes virus in my blood. Dr Perfect herbal cure is the best don't think because he cured me of herpes virus and you are diagnosed with Hepatitis or other virus he can't cure you, Dr Perfect can cure all types of diseases and virus. If you need a cure for your disease and virus WhatsApp him +1 (256)-251-3614 if you are not on WhatsApp email him at solutiontoallproblems1@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from Herpes with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

      Delete
  2. Great article with excellent idea!Thank you for such a valuable article. I really appreciate for this great information.find more for the trip planning for cats

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Epilepsy, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Fatal Familial Insomnia ,Dupuytren's disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ADD DR PERFECT ON WHATSAPP +1 (256)-251-3614 AND GET A CURE TO ANY TYPE OF DISEASES AND VIRUS

    I'm so happy and excited to give my testimony of how I was cure of herpes virus. I'm Karen Wilson from Paris France I was diagnosed with herpes virus for 6 years, I took every drugs prescribed to me by the doctors but there was no positive result, so I decided to try if I can find a cure for my herpes online and I saw different people's comments on how Dr Perfect helped them to cure their diseases and viruses I message him urgently on WhatsApp it's didn't take long he replied my message and we talked on how I can get the cure and he told me he will send the cure to me, in four days time the cure was delivered to my house and he gave me instruction on how I will use it, 17 days later there was no sign of herpes in my body then I went for test and the doctor told me he couldn't find any sign of herpes virus in my blood. Dr Perfect herbal cure is the best don't think because he cured me of herpes virus and you are diagnosed with Hepatitis or other virus he can't cure you, Dr Perfect can cure all types of diseases and virus. If you need a cure for your disease and virus WhatsApp him +1 (256)-251-3614 if you are not on WhatsApp email him at solutiontoallproblems1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you seek spiritual help ? AchieversSorcerer@gmail.com we offer all kinds of help to enable you live a desirable life. A white magic that will enable you achieve all your heart desires Achievers sorcerer is 100% guaranteed for all the helps you need ? contact Dr Dada via AchieversSorcerer@gmail.com For unlimited lottery predictions and winning ,For Cure to all kinds of diseases For success in carrier Please Fill the Form Below:
    - Complete Name
    - Type of help needed- City / Country:
    - Telephone: A lots of people have gained through the help of Dr Dada: Contact now via AchieversSorcerer@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you seek spiritual help ? AchieversSorcerer@gmail.com we offer all kinds of help to enable you live a desirable life. A white magic that will enable you achieve all your heart desires Achievers sorcerer is 100% guaranteed for all the helps you need ? contact Dr Dada via AchieversSorcerer@gmail.com For unlimited lottery predictions and winning ,For Cure to all kinds of diseases For success in carrier Please Fill the Form Below:
    - Complete Name
    - Type of help needed- City / Country:
    - Telephone: A lots of people have gained through the help of Dr Dada: Contact now via AchieversSorcerer@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete