Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Sad Mews: Feline Leukemia in Neenah stables

I am sorry to report that recently I tested a young barn cat from a horse stables outside of Neenah, and he was positive for Feline Leukemia Virus.  This farm has dozens of free roaming cats and kittens, none of which are vaccinated against anything.  This kitten was brought to the Fox Valley Cat Clinic by a good samaritan because he was acting very sick, and indeed he was.  He was sufferring from Feline Infections Peritonitis along with being FeLV+.  And yes, this poor little guy did die.  
I was so saddened by this series of events, that I contacted and enlisted a local cat rescue group to help me with this bad situation.  But,  even though  we were willing to trap, leukemia test, and spay/neuter all of his cats and release the healthy ones back to his stables, and find donations to pay for it all-in hopes of stopping the spread of this deadly cat disease, the owner of the horse stables said ABSOLUTELY NOT.  He was totally closed to the idea of strangers on his property, and was not concerned about the health of these cats, as "they were not his responsibility". 
I realize that I am preaching to the choir, but this attitude is beyond my comprehension.  Please forgive my frustrated venting, but apparently in this situation, that is all I can do.  I know all who read this will understand.  Maybe tomorrow we at the Fox Valley Cat Clinic can save the world (one cat at a time :)
Dr. Maureen Flatley

2 comments:

  1. His attitude absolutely sickens me. Thank you for trying to help. Do you suppose that we could (as a group) do something to change his mind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have some ideas, email me at the clinic, I am open to your thoughts. Dr. Flatley

    ReplyDelete