Friday, October 7, 2011

Why Squeak LOVES her carrier...

The truth is that my cat Squeak does not HATE the carrier.  I do not struggle with her and she is not afraid of the carrier.   Here is how I accomplish this magic with my own cats.

I plan ahead.  I start the day before by preparing the carrier with a favorite fleece blanket that smells like her and her favorite cat toys.  I leave the carrier in the garage so she can neither see it or hear it or smell it.  I cover it with a towel in preparation for the next day.

After Squeak and I have gone  to bed, my husband takes over.  His job is to noiselessly transer the covered carrier from the garage to the bathroom.

My AM plan of attack:  Every AM Squeak and I have a routine.  While I get ready for work, she eats her breakfast,  and gets personal "mom" time in the bathroom with me.  The bathroom door is usually shut, and she is used to this. 
SO (and this is really important) I do not change my routine at all.  The only difference is that the towel covered carrier has magically appeared in the bathroom overnight -but up on the counter where she does not usually look or go.  The door closes.  Breakfast is served and eaten.  Mom attention is given.  The carrier is  then quietly lowered to the floor against the wall( so it does not move/scare the cat).  I sit on the floor, speak encouraging words as  I gently pick her up and persuade her inside and shut the door.

Yes, Squeak is 15 years old, so she knows the routine.  But I have never trained her to HATE the carrier.  I have never chased her around the house or pulled her from under the bed .  I have never put her into her carrier when she is scared.  In her mind the carrier does not equal fear.

So, the bottom line to accomplish this magic yourself is to plan ahead, work with the cats daily routine, confine them to a small room (with no hiding places) before putting them into the carrier, move quietly, speak encouraging words so they have no reason to be afraid .  Top-loading carriers are great.  Zippered bag carriers are even better.  Remember, we can all out-smart our cats, and train them at the same time - if we just plan ahead.
The cat needs a big hug after this!!
Dr. Maureen Flatley
Fox Valley Cat Clinic

1 comment:

  1. Good day to you all from United State,I have been suffering from (HERPES) disease for the last eight years and had constant pain, especially in my private parts. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulate all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Hepatitis B diabetes) by this Man Dr MAGGI and she also gave the email address of this man and advise me to contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr MAGGI telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man, few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as Dr MAGGI assured me ,after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed, behold it was TRUE, email Dr Dr MAGGI on : (drmaggieherbalhome82@gmail.com) whatsapp him : +33753179743

    ReplyDelete